Jose Mourinho has completed his first signing as Manchester United manager with the acquisition of Eric Bailly from Villarreal.
But who is the 22-year-old? Here are 10 facts you might not know about United’s latest recruit…
- Bailly was spotted by Espanyol scout Emilio Montagut at a youth tournament organised by Spanish company Promoesport which was held in Burkina Faso.
- Bailly joined Espanyol at the age of 17 in December 2011 and didn’t make his first-team debut until October 2014.
- Bailly is an aggressive centre-back who likes to carry the ball forward – he’s even made the odd appearance on the left flank for Ivory Coast
- Bailly was the youngest player in the Ivory Coast team that won the Africa Cup of Nations in 2015
Bailly is the first Ivory Coast international to play for Manchester United.
- Bailly has played only 35 games in La Liga in his entire career.
- Bailly is the first Ivory Coast international to play for Manchester United.
- Bailly was born in Bingerville – the same town as Manchester City striker Wilfried Bony.
- At £30 million, Bailly is Manchester United’s most expensive defender of all time. Rio Ferdinand, a £29.1m signing from Leeds United in 2002, moves down to second spot. Jaap Stam is in third after joining from PSV in a £10.75m deal in 1998.
- Bailly is the eighth player born in Africa to play for Manchester United after Quinton Fortune, Patrice Evra, Nani, Wilfried Zaha, Eric Djemba-Djemba, Mame Biram Diouf and Manucho.
Image credit: Getty Images